If you think that airlines charge excessively for “extra baggage”, the cost for keeping unhealthy relationships is more expensive.
“Every relationship that is not moving you forward is slowing you down.”
The Purpose Driven Life
We all have had those friends, relationships, even family members that we have allowed to remain in our “inner circle” and continue to be a drag on our ability to advance in our life/careers and reach our goals.
- Dating an insecure, jealous, confrontational person.
- Friends who have always seem embroiled in drama and gossip.
- Co-workers who have negative remarks for the company and other co-workers.
- A business partner with no moral compass.
- Customers whose business is way more draining that the benefit of the sale.
- A family member who is always telling you why you “Will Not” be able to overcome ____?____ (fill in the blank; poverty, education, looks, etc…)
These are all examples of unhealthy relationships most all of us have had, or do have in our life that establish mental roadblocks to achieve our goals, dreams and desires. The mark of all successful people is ability to surround themselves with those that model the character and common goals they want for themselves.
I love the examples that Pastor TD Jakes uses for the three types of friends:
Confidants, Constituents, and Comrades.
Confidants are those people in your life that love you unconditionally. Whether you are up or down, right or wrong…the confidants are the few people in your life that are for you. They are there to make sure you reach your destiny. They will confront you. They will get in your business. They will tell you when you are wrong.
If you are lucky enough to have 2-3 “Confidants”, consider yourself lucky.
Take an inventory of those you have allowed in your “inner circle;
- Do they support you in reaching your goals, or are they slowing you down?
- Do they encourage you when you get off track, or bring you down further?
- Do they model the same Christian character you have for yourself?
Get rid of the excess baggage that is weighing you down and costing you your dreams.
Do it today!
It can be hard to “leave a few items” behind on your journey. But you do not need them. The faster you lighten the load, the faster you can get to your destination!
Learn to “Pack Light”
“…let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us.”